7.26.2008

oh my darling, when you smile it is like a song and i can hear it now

i get quiet when something upsets me and he can instantly pick up on it. he knows the difference between the good and bad silence. and when its bad, without fail his first words are "uh-oh." our arguments all boil down to the same basis. although there are many facets, they stem from the same source. the root of the problem, in question form, is "how do you show someone you care without coming across as overbearing, overprotective or downright manipulative?" after an hour of explanations (on both parts), silence, understanding and forgiveness, we came to the conclusion that showing you care is a unique balance of affection and implication. some things just should not be said, but rather implied.

"okay, so you know i love you and you know i miss you. maybe i should just let that be implied..." he said in all seriousness. 

my future life flashed before my eyes. i'm 40 something, taking care of the kids, feeling neglected by my husband because he never says he loves me anymore. "its implied" he rolls his eyes when i confront him about it and rolls the issue off his shoulders. then i realize it all started from THIS argument. and i'm pulled back into reality, where i quickly let my cold silence be interrupted by a somewhat fearful chuckle.

"no i don't agree with that." i quickly said. "you should never stop telling me you love and miss me. EVER."

"good cause i don't plan on it.." he sighed with relief.

"but, the fact that you don't like that you won't talk to me saturday night because i'll be with my girlfriends... that's implied. you don't need to tell me that, because i already know. and when you say it, it just makes me feel guilty and then resentful because i rarely get to hang out with them in the first place." 

"ok, i can do that." 

we all have much to learn about love... it is too great to fully comprehend. but when it comes down to these little arguments, discussions if you will, i feel like we get that much closer to understanding what it means to love unconditionally, and show how much we care in a way that doesn't hinder its meaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment